Strawberry Shortcake Kabobs
Coconut cream completes this sweet, shortcake-centric twist on kabobs.
YIELDS: 4 to 5 skewers
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened (use margarine for a vegan version)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (use almond milk for a vegan version)
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic® Lemon Flavoring
Whipped Coconut Cream:
- 1 can (15-oz) organic coconut cream, cold
- 2 to 3 tablespoons organic powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (optional)
- Lemon shortcake (recipe above), cut in 2-inch cubes
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and washed
- 8 tablespoons organic butter, melted (or substitute grapeseed oil)
- 4 to 5 metal or bamboo* skewers
- Coconut cream (recipe above), to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 10x10-inch casserole with butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With pastry blender or two forks, cut in butter until mixture is size of coarse crumbs.
- Gently stir in buttermilk and lemon flavoring just until mixture forms a soft dough, then gently pat into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the coconut cream. Invert the can and open from the bottom. Drain off the liquid that has accumulated there and reserve the solid.
- Place the coconut milk in a mixing bowl and whip until smooth. Add sugar, vanilla flavor or extract and rum, then whip up a little further, to desired consistency. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat your grill for the kabobs. Real wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Avoid instant-light briquettes as they make food taste like lighter fluid. Aim for medium-high heat – if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 375 degrees.
- Arrange the 2-inch shortcake cubes and the berries, alternating between each, onto the skewers until all are used.
- Brush each side lightly with butter. Place on the grill and allow to just char a little, about 2 minutes per side. Remove and serve immediately with coconut cream on the side, for dipping.
- * If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 1 hour before use to keep them from burning on the grill.
- Reserve the liquid drained off the coconut milk for another use, such as an addition to a smoothie.
Simply Organic® Lemon Flavoring
Full lemon flavor made with premium quality, organic ingredients.
Simply Organic® Pure Vanilla Extract
Award winning, pure organic vanilla extract made from premium Bourbon beans.